Environmental Outreach Coordinator
Board, Chicago, IL
The Citizens Utility Board (CUB) is a nonpartisan, nonprofit statewide utility watchdog organization created to serve as a voice for residential and small business consumers. CUB strives for better service and lower rates for all Illinois residents. Our work ranges from challenging utility rate hike requests and fighting for better consumer protection laws in Springfield, to offering money-saving advice.
We are expanding our environmental work and are currently seeking an energetic, self-directed, public-interest-minded individual to fill the position of Environmental Outreach Coordinator to assist in CUB’s statewide advocacy and outreach efforts.
• Assisting the Outreach Director in educating Illinois consumers about the connections between energy efficiency and lower energy costs.
• Building grassroots support for increased state and federal investment in energy efficiency
• Developing an understanding of demand-response and real-time pricing programs available for electricity consumers.
• Becoming conversant in how consumers can manage their utility costs by making their households more energy-efficient.
• Booking venues and promoting events with flyers, announcements, letters and phone calls to CUB members and the general public
• Working with CUB’s communications department to promote outreach efforts in the media
• Helping shape public message, identifying what works at the grassroots level and what doesn’t
• Making presentations at community events and meetings
• Other outreach duties as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Knowledge of environmental issues and/or previous campaign experience a plus
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• A proven commitment to public interest work
• Experience with new media and social networking advocacy a plus
• Willingness to travel throughout Illinois
• Valid Illinois driver’s license
• Having your own car is also a plus