A reminder that today is the last day to take advantage of the student registration price of $100 before it increases to $120. Register today to save money and don’t forget to submit a copy of your receipt to UPPSAINFO@gmail.com to be eligible for reimbursements. Thanks to all who have already sent in their receipts!
Some extra tidbits of information that may help you plan your trip follow:
1. Some transportation options to and from New Orlean’s Louis Armstrong Int’l Airport and the city centre are:
· Deluxe Shuttle If you want a little more leg room at an affordable price. They provide transportation between the airport and any downtown location for $25 each way. Contact us at 1-877-546-8788 or at www.deluxeshuttle.com
· Jefferson Transit: The Airport-Downtown Express (E-2) Bus picks up outside airport Entrance #7 on the upper level.
o Bus Fare: The fare for Airport-Downtown Express (E-2) is $1.10. The fare boxes will accept $1, $5, $10, $20 dollar bills and all U.S. coins. The fare boxes will provide change in the form of a value card that can be used for future fares.
o About the Airport-Downtown Express (E-2) Route: The Airport-Downtown Express (E-2) provides service from the Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport in Kenner, down Airline Drive into New Orleans. The Airport bus stop is on the second level of the Airport, near the Delta counter, in the median (look for the sign and bench). At Carrollton at Tulane it connects with RTA's 27-Louisiana and 39-Tulane buses. (Visit the RTA website to check their current schedules.)
· Taxicabs: A cab ride costs $33.00 from the airport to the Central Business District (CBD) for one or two persons and $14.00 (per passenger) for three or more passengers. Pick-up is on the lower level, outside the baggage claim area. There may be an additional charge for extra baggage.
2. The location of the Conference will be at the Morial Convention Centre (900 Convention Center Blvd. New Orleans, LA 70130.) http://www.mccno.com/ The Centre is located just south of the Vieux Carre and downtown (walking distance for some).
3. Through Kayak.com, the lowest airfare from Friday 4/9 through Tuesday 4/13 is $236 on Delta Airlines (via Atlanta).
o Alternatively, Amtrak.com has published roundtrip fares for 4/9 – 4/13 of $220 per reserved coach seat. Greyhound.com has fares for the same dates, roundtrip at $154.
4. For those less selective as to which hotel they stay at, Hotwire.com is offering a three-star hotel room at $98/night pre tax.
o For hostel accommodations in New Orleans, visit http://www.hostels.com/new-orleans/usa . Nightly rates range roughly in the neighborhood of $16-20.
o A hotel thread has been started on UPPSA’s Blogspot under the February 7th post. Feel free to make a posting should you need a roommate or have a hotel room already with extra space @ http://uppsa.blogspot.com/2010/02/hotel-pool-and-information-board.html
5. Finally, volunteer applications are still being accepted through March 9th. http://planning.org/conference/registration/pdf/studentvolunteerform.pdf
6. Lonely Planet’s thorough website has great reviews on where to eat and what to see while down in the “Crescent City.” http://www.lonelyplanet.com/usa/new-orleans