• February General Assembly and Transit Oriented Dining at the Triple Crown Dim Sum Restaurant- Come out to the 2nd general assembly of the semester for all MUPP students, hosted once again by your favorite graduate student board, UPPSA:
Triple Crown Dim Sum Restaurant 2217 Wentworth Ave. Chicago, IL 60616 Tel: 312.842.0088
Fax: 312.842.0080 www.triplecrownchicago.com/ Menu: http://www.triplecrownchicago.com/chinese-restaurant-chicago/
Directions: Right off of the CTA Red Line stop at Cermak-Chinatown, on Wentworth Ave.
Date/Time: Friday, 2/18 @ 6:00 p.m.
Please RSVP at www.UPPSA.org before Wed. 2/16 so we can get a rough head count to make our reservation. Please let us know if you have any other questions. We hope to see you there!
• UPPSA Board Elections- It’s just the beginning of the semester but UPPSA will soon hold its annual board member elections soon. The deadline for filing as candidate for President, Vice President, Secretary or Treasurer is Monday, February 28th at 5pm. You can learn about the process in the appendix to the UPPSA constitution at http://www.uppsa.org/uppsa-documents.html. If you have questions regarding the process, qualifications or how UPPSA functions please email us at UPPSAelections@gmail.com
• UPP Faculty Candidate Job Talk, Monday February 14th in Room 262 at Noon- Come hear Nebiyou Tilahun present “Matching Home and Work: Job Search, Contacts and Travel” as part of his candidacy to become a member of the UPP faculty. Students are also encouraged to stick around afterwards for a round table with the candidate to ask him questions and field his. If you are able to attend please RSVP by sending an email to UPPSAinfo@gmail.com
• Spring 2011 CUPPA Commencement- Graduation is just a couple months away. Learn details about deadlines, locations, costs and what color your hood is visit the UPPSA blog at http://www.uppsa.org/blog.html
• CUPPA Blood Drive on February 15th from 10am-3pm in CUPPAH Rm 110- Among those recovering from the Blizzard of 2011 are Blood Banks across the Chicago area: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/02/04/blood-bank-blizzard-cut-into-donations/ In an effort to help Blood Banks meet patient demands, please consider participating in the next CUPPA Blood Drive: CUPPA Blood Drive-Tuesday, 02/15/2011-Room 110 CUPPA HALL- 412 S. Peoria Street- 10:00am to 3:00pm. Please visit the Dean's Office (Rm 115 CUPPAH) or email firstname.lastname@example.org for eligibility requirements and/or to sign up.
• Lodging During the APA National Conference in Boston- The American Planning Association has secured a block of rooms at the Midtown Hotel in Boston for the National Conference. Located just across the park from the Conference Hotel and at a rate of $155/night, you will not likely find a better deal. Please reserve your rooms by March 11 in order to receive this special rate. See http://www.planning.org/conference/boston/housing/student.htm for details.
• Non-Profit Panel on Feb. 23rd at 6pm in CUPPAH Rm 413- The Public Administration Student Association (PASA) will host a panel featuring Tom Galassini of the United Way and Greg Cameron of the WTTW Channel 11. There will be food and light refreshments. RSVP for this event at uicpasa.weebly.com
• UPPSA Membership- For those students new to the program, those who have been around for a while but haven’t become members and students who became members last spring, enrollment in the Urban Planning and Policy Student Association is open during the first month of the spring semester. You can turn in forms all this week through the General Assembly meeting on Friday, February 18th. Visit http://www.uppsa.org/uppsa-documents.html to download the membership form. Return it and your check for $15 to Ann Barnds or any UPPSA board member to enroll or renew your membership. Membership benefits include higher reimbursement rates for approved conference travel, the annual UPPSA gift, and the satisfaction of being a part of one of UIC’s most dynamic and good-looking student associations. Email us at UPPSAinfo@gmail.com with any questions.
• APA National Conference 2011 in Boston Massachusetts April 9-12- The American Planning Association National Conference is right around to corner. Check out the APA website for details on speakers, programs, and student opportunities. http://www.planning.org/conference/
Early registration ends February 10, 2011 so sign up early to save money, or apply to be a student volunteer for a $100 refund if you are an APA Student Member. http://www.planning.org/conference/registration.htm
UPPSA will be providing more information regarding accommodations, travel, and partial reimbursement in the next few weeks! Join us for a greatnetworking and learning opportunity!
• Book Exchange- As this semester is ending, a new one is going to begin shortly. Don’t forget to sell your books for some extra holiday cash, or rent them out, if you are attached to them. UPPSA book exchange in online! Go to http://www.uppsa.org/forum.html to post your books.
• Academic or Assistantship Advocacy- Any MUPPs with concerns about department-wide academic issues are encouraged to contact UPPSA at UPPSAinfo@gmail.com with your feedback about the program. The Board of UPPSA meets regularly with the UPP department and the Dean of CUPPA. Let us be your advocate. Also, for those students with assistantships, UPPSA President Bob Fuller is also the Graduate Employee Organization (GEO) steward for CUPPAH. If you feel you have been treated unfairly in your assistantship (Teaching, Graduate or Research) feel free to contact him at email@example.com to get connected with the GEO’s grievance resources.
• If you have important news for fellow MUPPs and you would like it included in the President’s Weekly Roundup and/or on the UPPSA website email UPPSAinfo@gmail.com by 2 p.m. each Sunday.